Links for 18 Jul 2007 July 18, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Animals, Career, Cats, Health and Fitness, Just For Fun, Random Thoughts.
Some random links that I like to share. Enjoy
- I had an emotionally charged afternoon. However, it was just dispelled when I saw this video about 2 guys lip-syncing to a wordless music track. They are very talented, I kid you not.
- I guess everyone has seen this video on this guy who has subtitles on his speech except for everyone else. He is an emotional soldier. He needs some TLC.
- Sometimes, a word for what you would usually call is not the same in another country. A donkey is known as an ass.
- Here are some tips, not wait, not just some tips but a mind boggling list of 78 tips on how to build wealth. Now let me find some time on reading it.
- Still remember the peanuts thing? This sweeper sweeps peanuts.
- This is for those with wide-screen monitors. Do enjoy the scenery.
- Cats love to scratch and here is a tip on how to let them scratch only the ones you don’t one.
- Placing of ads do need to be done at the right time and where.
Who is This LTA X? July 17, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Career, Random Thoughts, Relationships, Technology and Gadgets.
The question now is who the heck is this LTA X? How did he get away without being named while the whistle-blower got his cover blown? It seems that there is no protection for the whistle-blower, in this case, the email was being sent to practically the whole of SAF. What if LTA X was not some princeling?
When Lee Hong Yi was born, a mother was barred from entering the nursery to visit her son. Wow, I didn’t know that. It must be cool to be the son of the PM, huh?
When the email was first put up in a SPH journalist’s blog, no less, the buzz around it started, with Hardwarezone being first to put in a thread that has since been removed. Pity. After a while, other blogs started putting up the said email with names being censored. The Online Citizen has rounded up the information on this case. Quite a feat.
The difference between Lee Hong Yi and Wee Shu Min is that Lee is focused on being public-spirited while Wee demonstrated her immaturity by dragging her father into the flame war. A compilation of blogs that have touched on the graffe can be found here.
I wonder how long this will last. As a final note, everyone may be talking about 2LT Lee’s email but why wasn’t LTA X punished and named?
My 10 Favourite Blogs July 16, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Animals, Career, Cats, Family, Friendship, Just For Fun, Random Thoughts, Relationships, Romance/ Love, Technology and Gadgets.
For those who read blogs or blog about anything, Mashable is celebrating blogging’s 10th birthday by requesting readers to list 10 favourite blogs. Blogging has been around for 10 years already? Gosh. Since I have more than 100 RSS feeds and I do share the posts that I like, let’s see if I can list my 10 favourite blogs. And please don’t kill me if you are not in the list. You are, however, in my daily feeds.
I present the list, not in order of merit.
- Hear Ye! Hear Ye! – Insightful posts on issues that are affecting everyone, the most recent on Lee Hong Yi’s breaking the chain of command by exposing himself as the whistle blower.
- Cuteoverload – Tewtelly cool kitteh, dawgs, turtles, mice, hedgehogs and much more. You can diee from the cute overloads.
- Stickgal – It may not be updated daily but then again, the wait is worth it.
- Letters to my kids – A father’s well-thought and meaningful letters for his kids. One of it on how to be sociable.
- What’s love got to do with it? – Thought provoking posts on relationships.
- Problogger – Valuable tips on surviving online and how to earn money online.
- Daily Blog Tips – Advice on blogging.
- Dilbert – Comic strip on work. Can relate to it.
- Working With Catwelfare Society – Sometimes, humans are the ones who are littering.
- Freelance Switch – Everything you need to know about freelancing.
Are SG Girls Materialistic? July 3, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Career, Family, Food and Drinks, Friendship, Random Thoughts, Relationships, Romance/ Love.
A comment here states that Singaporean women are materialistic. I wonder if the progress of this country has made the women materialistic. It has often been in discussion that men and women are equal of some sorts. Women should be able to work and still clean the house after a hard day’s work while the men should be able to enjoy the warm home-cooked meal after a hard day’s work. Now that women are able to study, women should be doing what men does, here, men complete NS and so must the women too. Then they will not complain about sissy men and all.
Just last week, a colleague was stating the cost of his wedding, estimated to be 25k for the dinner itself. The cost of the flat and renovation have not been factored in yet. Why such a high cost? Parents prefer 9 course dinner. Hotels and restaurants charge peak rates for dinners held during the weekends. That’s where they rake in the money.
Although being a filthy rich guy may make you “hotter” than those handsome but poor guys, it doesn’t make sure the girl stays with you if you ain’t got the character. Mindsets here have not changed by leaps and bounds. Guys still have to pay for the majority of the wedding, it’s no wonder the marrying age is getting older and why girls are dating those old men with cash to spare. They don’t get married too old. That’s for some girls.
A materialistic girl is someone who will stay with that guy only when he can lavish gifts and expensive holiday trips on her. Once, he hits a low, expect her to disappear. This post, however, degrades the guy’s perspective.
A Step Towards My Interest July 1, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Career, Emotions & Feelings, Random Thoughts.
add a comment
Being a Scientific Technical Writer is interesting. The pay is $18 per hour in USD. How cool is that for a part time position? I know, I know, the grass always looks greener on the other side but then again, I’m considering a change in my current path although not in the bio area. I’m not even qualified for it!
My friend recently suggested a few options since my current workplace has so many departments and a few are relevant to my interest. I told her why I would never be able to fit in. However, I was thinking about it in the showers and thinking along another way instead of being stuck in my mentality. At that moment, I decided that I wanted to talk to my manager about my interest. Now, with just one more day to Monday, I’m suddenly wary.
I must be strong. In order to fight for my happiness. To achieve my dream. My friend is right, since I have the opportunities here with options in front of me and the manager is approachable, I should grasp hold of the situation now instead of wallowing in crankiness that lasted for a day.
My Internship Sucked June 24, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Career, Friendship, Random Thoughts, Relationships, Studies.
I did my internship programme years back. It was where I first met a new friend from the same school and the time spent there was less torturing. We were supposed to get some working experience so that we would be prepared for the real working world. We agreed on one thing, the company was lousy was had totally no experience related to our studies or modules.
We were doing administrative stuff more than anything that was remotely related to our course of studies. All I remembered was that we had to shred paper which were tons and thus both of us decided to do it together. The accountant, on the other hand was concerned that we would be talking more than working. She complained to our lecturer who was supposed to take care of us. I forget what the role was, facilitator? Never mind, it’s not important.
He spoke to us and wanted to know our side of the story. We told him what the problem was and felt that we were being bullied. Heck, our hardship can’t be compared to those who were underpaid and hoodwinked into applying something they had expected but it wasn’t true. The irony was that the ladies in the small office did more talking than us and expected us to be focusing on the work?
When we finally completed the internship, we were both elated to be back in school. The internship only taught us something, the school tied up with companies that looked for them. They did not match us to the related fields we were studying. The companies usually pay the lowest amount and we were paid $300 per month and when I hear of anyone complaining about their $500 per month, I said, “I was paid $300 per month, the minimum amount required and did all those shit. You get to surf the net every time while I don’t.” That shut them up.
Moral of the story is, network with those companies that you wished to work for and their pay is definitely more acceptable than those who are out to exploit students.
Worthy Links for 24 Jun 2007 June 24, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Animals, Career, Cats, General Sports, Random Thoughts, Relationships, Romance/ Love, Technology and Gadgets, Transport, Travel.
Random reads for today. It’s hot and humid today and my bet is that I’m going to hit the showers (new shower head, the other one stayed at power jets that won’t change no matter what. Not nice to hurt any sensitive parts of your body.)
- You know Garfield, right? Unless you hate comics but there’s this real cat that actually looks like him! Gosh. I’m speechless.
- There’s this sick guy adding people his his MSN list. He plays with his private parts with the web cam on them. How sick. (NSFW)
- Cute bunnies that look like mice without the tails. Pika is the name. No, not pronounced as in Pikachu for short.
- Some encouragement from Career Peace. Best not to reveal my real identity because it’s not safe. You never know why some things happened.
- A cat that disagree with your theories. This cat is not for the scientist or theorist or whoever has theories about anything.
- With F1 coming, one would like these Ferrari, no?
- What if handsome diving instructor is talking to your girlfriend, would you, as the boyfriend do something to him?
Worthy Links For 23 June 2007 June 23, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Animals, Career, Family, Food and Drinks, General Sports, Health and Fitness, Random Thoughts, Relationships, Technology and Gadgets, Television.
add a comment
Some reads to feast on and enjoy.
- For the surfers, can you beat the rats? The rats are way too cool.
- Now, to earn some spare cash, perhaps Blogitive could be another option to try out. It says that you can earn at least $1500 per month. In USD?
- Chinese shares seems to be falling. I wonder if the Olympics would actually help fuel the shares. Oh and I love the mascots. Pandas are cute.
- Wondering if you are unimportant? Everyone will ignore you.
- There’s a new food, not available here, definitely. It’s dick. And it’s yummy.
- I’ve always loved animated gif.
- I wonder if a map can be as colourful as Bruceville. Bruce reminds me of Bruce Lee.
- Children learn from adults. They do what they see despite us telling them the opposite. Sad to see that negative things are being taught nowadays.
Lack of Courage Brings Depression June 23, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Career, Emotions & Feelings, Random Thoughts, Technology and Gadgets.
add a comment
People just love to ignore warnings, don’t they? See what my previous about it being a depressing post brought? More traffic and pongs. Ironic that I did warn about it being depressing. However, it did bring comments that were insightful.
When I wrote the post, I was being depressed about my choice and disappointed with myself because I have thought about what I would love to do but never had the courage because of moolah. Vitamin M is important because here, I can’t eat without paying. I can’t claim from any charity because I’m earnings something. Money makes the world go round, they say. That’s why barter trade died of because of some
clever person(s) who invented created money.
Another issue is our mindsets here. Once we have worked for, say, 4 years, we should be moving up the corporate ladder and do some management thingy. Our obsession with being in management where it’s supposedly less brains cells killing in technical terms. Actually I think management level is the toughest position to be in because it’s more brain cells killing than other positions. See those who suffer from memory loss as they grow older? See those who go mental when they are no longer needed to think so much? It’s part of the contribution.
Move Along, This is A Depressing Post June 22, 2007Posted by WishBoNe in Career, Emotions & Feelings, Random Thoughts, Technology and Gadgets, Travel.
Been thinking of career path change these days. Totally got sick of doing programming and no value add to myself. Besides spending money on a degree that I don’t know will get but hope to get, I haven’t been updating myself ever since. I feel outdated with the fast moving programming languages. Java, PHP, ASP are so old news. Now, there’s AJAX, XML, and whatever is currently being used or tested online.
I never had a chance to touch any other languages besides VB in MS Access. That is also old news and I’m definitely rusty from not using it for 4 years since I left the 1st company. It happens to be the longest that I stayed. The rest never beat the record. Or, I have been thinking about my career path since then. Perhaps.
In addition, I feel stupid. Slow. Moody about my current choice. I ask myself again why on earth I took this up. Either I’m suffering from some depression about work or I’m tired of doing the same thing and unhappy about being value-less besides being able to document, staple, get user sign-offs, etc.
I’m so into the getting out of my current scope. A career change is not easy. Nobody said it was. One has to uncover the possibilities, plan and consider that the skills are transferable. This is getting more depressing.